If you are looking for a tool that will help you achieve intricate cuts, decorative and precise cuts in wood, then it is essential that you don’t look farther than scroll saws, especially scroll saws like Dremel Moto-Saw MS20. From your walk at the supplies store you may have come across different scroll saws and realised you need one.
Choosing the best scroll saw to purchase for you cutting needs depends on a variety of underlying factors. The post rounds up some of the best scroll saws in the market to help you narrow down your choices and ultimately make the right choice.
Best Best Scroll Saws Reviews in the UK
Dremel Moto-Saw MS20 Variable Speed Compact Saw
- Curved and precise straight cuts.
- It is a dual functioning saw coming with scroll and fret saw.
- It is an easy-to-use table saw.
- It has reduced vibrations and a low sound power of 88.3 dB.
What stands out?
What makes this scroll saw stands out and undeniably the best option is that it is not only suitable for user type but also very beginner friendly. It is very compact in nature and for that reason it is very easy to operate and versatile in its operations.
If you are new in the world of scroll saws, you would rather start with this saw. This is a clear fact according several user reviews. Furthermore, since it has variable speed settings, you can easily take control of its cutting motion in a relatively quiet cutting operation. This is why a lot of people prefer it for home crafts. Since it is usable in handheld mode, it is highly portable. You can carry the saw anywhere.
It utilises pinned blades because it they are quicker and easier to change as compared to pinless blades. Although the scroll doesn’t come with rip fences or mitre gauges, these are just add-ons that you can purchase through the manufacturer.
FERM Scroll Saw-Fret Saw
- It has a robust cast iron housing.
- It has a quick release function to enable easy exchange of blades.
- It has a dust blowing mechanism to give you a cleaning working station.
- It has a parallel guide/mitre for intricate working.
- Includes 10 saw blades.
What stands out?
This scroll saw is relatively easy to use. The quick release function is especially very vital because it allows users easily change their blades. Since it has an adjustable working table, it is the best sturdy value because you can adjust your working table accordingly. Furthermore, it is a good saw to use with pinned and pinless blades coming with 10 blades.
The robust cast iron casing housing the saw makes it very sturdy while in use. This means that there will be less vibrations thus relatively quiet. You will not have to clean your working table and saw because it has a dust blowing mechanism functioning to keep your working area clean always.
However, the scroll saw doesn’t have variable speed but it still manages to offer users value for money. You can buy this scroll saw if you are looking for the best sturdy value option.
Proxxon Micromot DSH 2-Speed Saw
- With pre-fitted blade.
- It includes 5 spare blades.
- Can be used with a pinned and pinless blade.
- It has clear plastic blade guard for clipping into place.
What stands out?
You can’t just pick this scroll saw up with one hand because it is hefty, weighing approximately 20kg. Although it is very heavy, screwing it down is superfluous. Furthermore, it also stays put even on a non-slip surface.
Since it comes pre-fitted with blades, you only need to tilt your table to your most preferred angle and fit your suction nozzle. This saw is designed for professional use only because of the intricacies around it. Therefore, if you know your way around a scroll saw, you should be thinking of buying this scroll saw.
Professionals will find it relatively easy to switch through the pinned and pinless while in operation. According to some user reviews, it is easier to use than a band saw because you get the right tension on the blade while using the scroll saw. However, if you have portability and space issues, then you may need to reconsider and go for a small scale scroll saw.
Axminster Craft AC456SS Scroll Saw
- At full depth it is steady cutting.
- Has a variable speed, powerful DC brush motor.
- It has a maximum of 456mm width of cut.
- It has a 64 piece accessory kit and flexible shaft.
What stand out?
This is not only a competent scroll saw because it also has a flexible rotary shaft that is fitted with a collet chuck and 64 piece accessory kit. All of these attributes work together to make this saw very powerful. Moreover, the variable speed motor gives it the ability to power through a 50mm depth of cut. Additionally, the 45 degrees tilt ability functions to give you plentiful work space if you have larger projects.
The cast iron base adds to the saw’s stability and the holes beneath it are designed to let you bolt it on your workbench. Apart from the ability to take pinned and pinless blades, it also has a large tensioning knob to enable you adjust to the tension you need. The flexible LED work light gives you the ability to work through the night.
Sealey SM1302 Variable Speed Scroll Saw
- With adjustable safety guard.
- It has a parallel arm design.
- It has a quality cast rounded table to allow for intricate and precise cuts.
- Has a flexible dust blower.
- Variable speed operations.
What stands out?
The scroll saw has a quality cast round table that is important for allowing you achieve incredible decorative cuts. Furthermore, the variable speed operation feature makes it especially useful in making cuts through any type of material while ensuring that you are protected because of the adjustable safety guard.
With just the correct blade, you can use this scroll saw to cut through a thin metal sheet. This is because the saw is known for enhanced detailing and precision cutting. A pinned and pinless blade can be fitted on the saw and it will still work efficiently. However, in comparison with the other saws in this roundup, this saw is noisier. Nonetheless, the end result is good quality. You only need to get yourself good quality earmuffs and protective gear and you will be good to go.
Lumberjack SS405 Bench Top Scroll Saw
- Variable speed.
- Powerful motor.
- Cast iron base for extra stability.
- Can work up to a depth of 405mm.
What stands out?
This is a considerably large-sized scroll saw that comes with an iron base designed to provide extra stability. It also features an air blower, variable speed and an inbuilt work light. It is quite unique in nature and doesn’t vibrate much. That means it doesn’t produce much noise while in operation.
It operates at a slower pace so that you have more control over it and design your material quickly. It also comes with a hold-down foot to allow for extra sturdiness and stability. The feature plays a crucial role in reducing the machine’s vibrations. You don’t have to worry about your material moving around because there is a hard clamp to help you secure it into place.
You can use pinned and pinless blades to operate this device. Just one drawback to take note of is that it only comes with one blade. You will need to buy diverse materials if you want to make diverse cuts with this device. Nevertheless, it will offer you top-tier performance.
Einhell TC-SS 405E Saw
- Variable speed.
- Easily attachable to a workbench.
- Can be used with pinned and pinless blade.
- Solid base coming with a 45 degrees tilt table.
What stands out?
One of the best things about this product is that it features a solid base that you can easily attach to a workbench to provide you with additional stability. You can adjust the table up to a 45 degrees tilt to give you extra working space while you hold down your foot.
The saw comes with two blades and you can also use either a pinned or pinless blade. These blades have a quick release feature to help you easily set it up the blades and remove the blades too. The dust extractor attachment is important for removing the dust that may pile up during operation.
The Best Scroll Saws Buying Guide
Different scroll saws come with different vital features. It is because of the various available features between these models that can make it quite challenging for prospective buyers. This section will shed more light on some of the important factors to consider while looking for the best scroll saw and it will be in form of questions.
What is a scroll saw good for?
Scroll saws are important for enabling you make intricate joints, curves and cuts. The make your work easier because you can complete your tasks with great accuracy and quickly too. Furthermore, you can use them to cut dovetail joints. They are also very commonly used for thicker intarsia projects. However, it is important to note that when you attach a fin blade, the scroll saw’s kerf is almost invisible.
How do I choose a scroll saw?
The following are some of the factors that should help guide your saw’s purchasing decision. These factors largely depend on what you intend to use the saw for.
- Blade types: There are two primary types of blades; pinned and pinless. Pinless blades are essential in providing you with immense cutting possibilities. For more detailed cuts you will choose different types of blades. Pinned blades are often thicker and mostly used for woods and adhesive materials.
- Blade tension: There are blades that have levers, knobs and cams that are used to either tighten or loosen the blades. Always check where the tensioning is located. If you can, don’t go for a saw with a knob or lever is located at the back because it can be difficult to reach them.
- Throat size: The bigger the throat, the bigger the work piece the saw can handle. Therefore, choose a saw with the throat size that can work for a majority of your work pieces.
- Variable speed control: The cut you desire to achieve will decide the speed to use. Therefore, choose a scroll saw that comes with variable speed control to give you more control over you saw, mostly if you want to achieve finer cuts.
- Platform: Think of the saw’s platform on the basis of the size of your job. If you have a large job size, then that means you need a saw with a larger platform and vice versa.
- Magnifier and work light: These are add-on features for extra advantage and to help you achieve finer cuts.
- Table tilt: You can differentiate between right tilt, left tilt or both. Before you make a purchase, ensure that you know it comes with the correct angle. Always make sure that you check for the precise inclination measurements. Products that have tilts on both sides are better but often more expensive.
- Budget: You need to consider just how much you are willing to spend on a scroll saw. Always go for a device that is within your budget so that you don’t stretch yourself beyond your means.
What is the best scroll saw under 200?
The best scroll saw that you can get under 200 is the Shop Fox W1713, coming with such features as pinned or pinless blades, work light, gooseneck and a dust blower with incredible cutting width. If you have a limited budget, you can always go for this product.
Which is better, scroll saw or band saw?
Scroll saws are the best option if you want to achieve a finer and more detailed work. On the other hand, if you want to do some element of design and furniture building, a band saw would be the best option. Therefore, these two types of saws are not interchangeable because they are both value edition tools in any workshop. It all depends with what you want to build.
The clear overall winner in this product roundup after the review is the Dremel MS20 because of its compact design, ease of use and pricing. It can be used by everyone despite their level of expertise in the workshop. However, you can always make your purchase decision while taking into account all of the pointers mention in this roundup.
Need More Tools
- Best Budget Mig Welder UK
- Best Planer Thicknesser
- Best Pillar Drill UK
- Best Palm Router UK
- Best Cordless Drill UK
- Best Router Table UK
- Best Scroll Saw UK
- Best Metal Detector UK
- Best Circular Saw UK
- Best Paint Sprayer UK
- Best Table Saw UK
- Best Telescopic Ladder UK
- Best Cordless Screwdriver UK
- Best Electric Chainsaw UK