An air fryer is a small kitchen appliance that works using convection technology, where hot air moves around the product for even cooking. The food sits on a metal mesh tray inside the device and this tray spins – causing the heat to quickly circulate around it so all sides are cooked evenly. Because of this fast rotation, it can cook food faster than a conventional oven.
Experienced cooks will note that the key difference between an air fryer and a deep fryer is that the food never actually touches the oil. This gives it its name as an “air” fryer, because it uses very little fat to prepare foods such as french fries, onion rings and chicken wings.
How does an air fryer work?
Air fryers circulate hot air around food in the same way that a convection oven does. Because more uniformly distributed heat is present, this dish cooks faster. It should take less than 15 minutes to cook frozen fries in this oven. You’ll use less oil and won’t have to scrub your food down on paper since the air fry baskets fit snuggly on top of the device.
To minimize heat loss during cooking, air fry baskets sit firmly in place on the side of the appliance. Most of them include detachable baskets for placing the food. These have small holes in their corners that allow cold air to enter the food.
Air fryers are preferred by health-conscious individuals because they use less fat than deep frying.
Difference between air fryers and deep fryers.
Most deep fryers are big appliances that require a lot of oil. On the other hand, air fryers are small and compact that uses less oil for cooking food. This appliance only requires 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil. It does not produce as much smoke as a regular deep fryer because it has a powerful fan that sucks up the cooking oil vapors.
Air fryer vs deep fryer
- Air fryers only need 1-2 tbsp of oil for cooking, whereas a deep fryer usually needs more
- Air fryer uses less power than a full size oven because it cooks faster
- They are safer to use because they have trays that protect the hands from the hot oil
- They are better for people on a diet because it uses less oil to prepare food
- Air fryers are more compact than deep fryers, which is good if you have limited storage space in your kitchen
- Air fryers are more expensive than deep fryers
- Not suitable for cooking large quantities of food at one time
How to use an air fryer
To get the best results when using an air fryer, you can follow these steps:
1. Preheat for about 10 minutes so it is properly warmed up before you add the food inside.
2. Add oil on the bottom of the air fryer and spread it all over to prevent foods from sticking to the tray or basket. If your air fryer does not come with a detachable dish, you can pour some oil into the center of the device and then spread it out evenly.
3. Place your food into the rotating air fryer basket or tray, making sure that it is not overcrowded with too many pieces of food. You can cook no more than two pounds of food at a time in this appliance.
4. Set the timer depending on how well-done you want your meal to be. For example, if you want food to be well-fried, you’ll need to set the timer for half of the recommended cooking time.
5. Wait until your food is done cooking before removing it from the air fryer. You can also insert a fork or toothpick into one of the pieces and see if it’s hot inside. If it’s not, then you can remove the food from the air fryer.
Some foods that are suitable for cooking using an air fryer include french fries, onion rings, chicken wings and more.
Are air fried food healthy?
Deep fryers are frequently praised as being a healthier option than traditional deep fryers. While I learned that air frying vegetables with less oil than is required for baking to emulsified fat resulted in a comparable level of flavor, I still needed some of the same amount of oil in an oven to season them similarly.
Although it’s feasible that your crude oil will be used less frequently, you’re more likely to use different types of fuel. If you buy an air fryer to replace or supplement a large cooking range, the amount of oil produced in your oven will not be affected.
What food can you cook with an air fryer?
Crispy fries and mozzarella sticks can be cooked with air fryers. It is also possible to cook ribs, meatballs and other types of food in this appliance.
Is air frying safe?
Air frying is safer to use than a traditional deep frying because it uses less oil and typically has a lower operating temperature. You can also cook with an air fryer inside your kitchen so you do not need to worry about accidentally breathing in too much oil vapors.
As long as you use it correctly, an air fryer is safe to use. However, you should always be careful when handling hot oil and the basket or tray that holds your food.
Can I clean my air fryer?
After using an air fryer, you can remove excess oil by wiping the basket and the inside of the device with a soft cloth. Never use soap or other abrasive cleaners on these parts of your air fryer, as they can damage it.
As you can see, there are lots of benefits to using this trendy appliance. However, an air fryer is not suitable for cooking large quantities of food at one time and it may cost considerably more healthy than a traditional deep fryer. If you want to make snacks quickly and conveniently, this device is ideal for your kitchen because you will be able to create perfect French fries and chicken wings with less oil than a deep fryer.